Thursday, August 15, 2013

interview with artist Megan Wells

Today I am excited to share an interview with artist Megan Wells. Friends, this gal is crazy talented and has all kinds of really inspiring projects in happening!


Tell us a little bit about yourself and your journey with art:

I've been obsessed with making things since I was a little kid. I pursued art in college and then landed my "dream job" working as a Display Coordinator for Anthropologie. This eventually led to teaching high school art for 6 years, but there was always the nagging voice in my head urging me to try "just being an artist". It's so scary to give up a paycheck, but I found it was the most exciting decision I've ever made!


hand drawn frames for Design Aglow

What inspires you? What motivates you to make art?
Too many things inspire me! Which is why I end up making so many things in so many different mediums and styles. Currently, I'm obsessed with lettering and portraits. Last year, it was florals and succulents. Before that, birds. I make art because I have to make art. I know a lot of artists say that - but that's because it's true. I can't NOT be making things. So when something inspires me, I get really obsessed until the next piece of inspiration comes along. I have multiple personalities artistically I think! 

What is your favorite medium to work in?
Well, my usual answer for this is paint (acrylics) but I love all types of two dimensional materials and I love experimenting with using them all together. I can't settle on one thing, so I have a lot of supplies in my studio!



I know that you juggle a lot of different projects. How do you organize your creative schedule?
The past year has been nuts. When I decided to pursue being an artist full time, I had so many directions I wanted to go in, but I wasn't sure what would satisfy me or be "successful" financially speaking. So, it has been a little hectic bouncing back and forth between custom lettering, design and illustration jobs, painting, and a large outdoor mural. I'm trying to narrow down what I do, but sometimes I choose to be overwhelmed as opposed to being bored. 

I could not survive without lists and calendars all over the house though. That's what keeps me on track. Somedays, I will write down what I want to accomplish each hour. But then the next day, I might throw out the schedule and just make what I feel like making that day. 

What is a typical day like for you?
I never start my morning without coffee, or end my day without chocolate. In between, there are all sorts of things going on, but never in the same order. I'm in the studio most of the day, but there are errands, cooking, jogs in the park and other things all mixed up together each day, in no particular order. My husband works  a lot from home as well, so there is plenty of silliness and laughter mixed in! I know once we have kids, there will be more of a "typical" day routine, but right now I'm enjoying not having one!



How did you start lettering? Can you tell us a little about the lettering process?
I fell in love with letters and typography while teaching AP Studio Art a few years ago. I never took a class in it personally, so teaching it was fascinating. I loved how letters alone could be art. I decided to put some fun, whimsical lettering styles on etsy just to see what type of reaction I would get, and it took off. It's fun, but there are so many other things I love to make as well.





Tell us about the mural project that you just completed.
Right around the time I started lettering, I entered a mural design competition here in Lynchburg, Virginia, and I won! Two opposite types of art... tiny little letters and a HUGE outdoor mural. I was hired to paint the mural and it was an amazing experience. It measures 139' in length and about 45' tall and is right on Main Street in downtown Lynchburg. I had to put all other projects aside for about 2 months in order to paint this (I finished May 1st).



What are you working on right now?
Right now I'm working a series of portraits for an upcoming show in September. I'm focusing on local people in the Lynchburg area, and combining my love for lettering and type with highly detailed paintings. I'm super excited about unveiling these for the opening Sept 6. For the next few weeks I'll be locked in my studio though, I have A LOT of work to do!


You can find Megan here-

13 comments:

Giggles said...

Thanks for introducing us to Megan and her gorgeous artwork. That mural is amazing and I can't wait to see the rest of her portraits!! I love beautiful lettering and Megan yours is truly phenomenal and interesting!! Great interview Alisa!

Hugs Giggles

Carin said...

Thank you so much for introducing us to Megan! Her work is fantastic! I'm totally in love with the bat boy painting!

Amber said...

so lovely! Great interview.

AshleyQ said...

I've loved Megan's work for a while now and was so bummed when she stopped blogging regularly. I was curious as to how she's been and now, Thanx to u, I see she's been busy! ;) I'm so glad two of my favorite artists dig each other!

Crooked Coop Farm said...

Thank you for introducing us to Megan! I am glad to know I'm not the only artist out there who has multiple art personalities:) Her work is awesome no matter what style it is, and I am excited to see where her work will take her. Thanks again!

Anna

Pengobatan Penyakit Kulit said...

nice useful information ......

guinevere saunders said...

Fantastic work :)It's good to see artists not conform to the whole stick to one medium and one subject thing. being diverse is awesome.

http://saundersartistblog.blogspot.co.uk/

buy rs gold said...

It is great to see designers not really conform to the complete stick to one method and something topic thing. staying various is awesome.Billig WOW Gold Kaufencheap runescape gold

Unknown said...

Her work is stunning! Thanks for sharing :) I've linked to this article on my FB page.

Amber said...

Her work is stunning! Thanks for sharing :) I've actually linked to this article on my FB page.

studioGypsy said...

just beautiful!! thank you for sharing her art with us!! :)

Jennifer Lee said...

Hey, I'm from lynchburg! I had no idea who painted that mural. So cool! Love the inspiration to 'quit your day job' and create! :-)

天堂私服 said...

Hey, I'm from lynchburg! I

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails