Wednesday, September 15, 2010

patchwork cap tutorial

g3

I love baseball hats. Actually I love just about anything I can put on my head right now that keeps me from chopping my hair off (after 15 years of short hair I am desperately working to grow my hair out). So I have a huge collection of hats and I am always looking for ways to even create my own. Any time I find a plain hat that actually fit me, I buy it- I have an abnormally small head and hats that fit are hard to find!


IMG_1007
Recently Jo-Ann Fabric had plain white hats that fit my head perfectly and I knew right away they would be perfect to alter! fyi- just about any cotton or canvas cap can be altered.


g
I started by painting the hat with screen printing paint mixed with a little water to create a wash over the entire hat.


IMG_1014
I let the hat dry.


IMG_1017
I used a bunch of tiny scraps that I selected in my color scheme and started layering and creating a patch full of patchwork.


g2
I used colorful thread and messy stitches to sew the different pieces of fabric together.


IMG_1020
I added a bright red heart to my patchwork patch.


IMG_1024
Next I hand stitched the edges of the patch to the surface of the hat.


IMG_1091
And just like that...brand new cap, my style- ready to wear!


IMG_1106


IMG_1097


IMG_1104


IMG_1066


IMG_1075

IMG_1076

30 comments:

OrangeFarmhouse / www.moodkids.nl said...

I'm not in to caps that much but this one I really like, thanks for sharing!

Caralulù said...

Cara Alisa tutto quello che fai è bellissimo!!!Il cappello ti sta da Dio!!! baci Lulù

Home and Heart said...

That hat is TOO cute, and you look great in them!! (I wish I did!!)

Aija Elliņa said...

Alisa, It is a work of art, not a baseball hat! great!!!

Siret said...

What a great idea :) Well done!

Nilgün Komar said...

super

andrea creates said...

Looks great!
:)

Elizabeth said...

Awesome Cap Allisa!! I ahve just gotten my haier grown back out- I feel your pain- HANG IN THERE!!! With caps like this it should be much less painful!!! Love the name of that paint color_ Pond Scum!!!!

britt said...

super cool idea!!

whyducks said...

I love it!

whyducks said...

I love it!

Anonymous said...

The hat is gorgeous ! What a cool idea !

Dawn

rocknrolla said...

i also am trying to grow out my short, asymetrical hair cut....and hats are such a necessity! love you, love your hat. and i shared on my blog-
http://crafty.littlerockmamas.com/index.php/2010/09/16/patchwork-hat/

Stephanie said...

too cool. You look great!

KariB said...

Just noticed the name of your green paint - Pond Scum! Fantastic! Love the messy 'patchwork' style.

Anonymous said...

Too cute!! Oh, the hat is too!! lolol
I love your cooking posts too!
Smiles, Andra

Leigh Anne said...

How cute! I would have just passed that plain old white cap by @ the store :) But you really transformed it. Speaking of head wear - do you make the knit headbands I see you wearing in some of your photos? They are really adorable and would love to stitch up a few for myself. Thanks for a wonderful blog...very artistic & creative!

Jenny said...

Very cute! I'm continually amazed, awed, (and somewhat jealous) of your creativity. Wish I had your imagination! But, in lieu of that, thanks so much for sharing! Best wishes, as always!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Sooo cool Alisa! I love your style. It is so relaxed and funky. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us!

Nelda Ream said...

It is SO cute! And you look so cute wearing it.

Jane LaFazio said...

oh my, this is my most favorite! totally adorable cap, I too love baseball caps, and must say they suit you beautifully. LOVE this! Makin' one!!!

Unknown said...

I am right there with ya....I think I wore a hat at your class. Its a long a frustrationg process, your hat ROCKS!!!

Anonymous said...

Alisia, Youre hat is beautiful. Have you ever thought about a batchwork quilt class forus. Where you would teach material and how to combine patterens colors ect and do alot of hand stitches? Please do this would be wonderfyl for us who have long winters to deal with.
Linda

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I love this Alisa! Another one I have to do. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Chantal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chantal said...

Fabulous idea! I have several caps I have been given with corporate logos which I just don't want to wear...they'll be getting this kind of revamp very soon. Thanks for sharing : )

Fée Clobouclett' said...

yes that's the kind of "couture" that I make most of my time (after my work, my children, my husband & my kitty !) I love recycling fabric and clothes with my fairy-brain) ...
I thank Elena33 for the link to your blog ... go on never stop your ideas !!! biz(kisses) from little Brittany & Normandy of Cherbourg ... dzing

SunShineyRain said...

love the hat! What a fun project!

гид в барселоне said...

Very worthwhile data, thank you for your article.

Yamayka's Gift Wrapping Ideas said...

Lovely cap. I like the patchwork on it. Thanks for inspiring.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails