Tuesday, September 07, 2010

fish and chips my way

IMG_2731
Though life has been insane these last few months and I have been short on time, I continue make time to cook. I seem to find daily solace and escape in my 1 hour routine of simple cooking each and every night. Recently, I put my own twist on one of my favorites- fish and chips!

IMG_0832
I used tilapia fillets for my fish and chips- it has a nice light flavor, texture and is really versatile and affordable.
But you could really use just about any fish.


IMG_0833
I cracked a few eggs in a bowl (don't worry they are local, organic and salmonella free).


IMG_0835
Next, I prepared my breading with panko crumbs, my favorite herbs, salt and pepper- just like I did in this recipe


IMG_0836
I dipped each tilapia fillet in the egg mixture


IMG_0838
and then in the breading mixture.


IMG_0839
I fried the fillets in just a little bit of olive oil


IMG_0843
for 3-4 minutes on each side.


IMG_0844
I placed the fillets on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.


IMG_0845
Remember my baked french fry recipe from a while back? Well, I used the same recipe but this time I used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes..YUMMMMM!!


IMG_2727
Last I made a quick spicy tartar sauce from light mayo, relish, lime juice, tabasco, salt and pepper.


IMG_0847
I served everything on top of a bed of spinach that was drizzled in balsamic vinegar.


IMG_2734
Oh so delicious!!


IMG_2739

12 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

I don't even eat fish (or any meat!) and this looks incredible--and so pretty, too!

The Denham Family said...

Girl, you are seriously SO fabulous! I admire you from your cooking to crafting and EVERYTHING in between! I absolutely love your blog! I am going to try this recipe out!

jafabrit said...

WEll I am a hardcore chips and curry sauce at the chippy gal, but hum! I must admit this looks REALLY yummy! and a lot healthier.

Bruce Barone said...

This looks soooooooooo good!

Lindsey Frances said...

Oh boy. You are making waiting for lunch so hard today!

Jeanie Callaghan said...

This looks just TOO delicious! Thank you so much for sharing!

Jessica Loughrey said...

this sounds so yummy! and i think i can eve get my 5 year old to eat it too... :)

Kittyj said...

I think you just made my husband really happy! He LOVES fish & chips and he has recently been gluten free and was thinking about trying panko and now my girl you've done it and it looks delicious! THANK YOU!

Shirley Pando said...

Oh, this looks so wonderful! And I'm inspired that you cook every day. I need to so this!
TFS

nest full of eggs said...

looks yummy !

Unknown said...

Oh yum! that looks soooo good Alisa! I'm coming over!

jackie said...

You have just made me so hungry - I thought I would manage on a slice of apple pie! Yummmy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails